Are you plagued by motion sickness? It can put you off travelling on long car journeys, planes, trains and most of all, ships. Cruises are usually a no-go for those who suffer from motion sickness.
The symptoms are caused by a mismatch of information between your brain and your inner ear system. It can range from mild to debilitating. Don’t let these annoying symptoms ruin your next trip.
There are many techniques that you can try to help beat motion sickness. As a member of our team is a sufferer, the list below is tried and tested!
If it’s not too bad, you can try listening to music and try focusing on the horizon. Whatever you do, don’t read a book or look at your phone as it will only make things worse!
Other things to try:
- Sea Bands – a drug-free way to treat motion sickness. The band’s work by applying pressure to particular points inside the wrist to provide natural relief from nausea.
- Keep your head as still as possible and choose a seat in the middle of the craft or vehicle, where you’ll experience the least movement.
- Drinking sugary fizzy drinks or chewing ginger sweets can help some people. This works for our team member who doesn’t regularly have fizzy drinks. It’s not so good for others so you’ll have to experiment with what works for you.
- Stress will make motion sickness worse. If you start to feel sick, try to relax. Worrying about it will just exacerbate your symptoms.
- Listen to some relaxing music and try closing your eyes, deep breathing and focusing on a mental activity. Downloading some Audible books or medications in advance is a good way to prepare for these moments.
- Stay cool and pack a travel fan. Motion sickness will get worse if you are overheated. A mini fan can make a huge difference or even better, open a window and get some fresh air.
- Keep well hydrated and avoid alcohol before travelling. It’s also best to avoid any heavy meals.
- Finally, ask your pharmacist about treating your motion sickness with over the counter medication such as hyoscine or antihistamines.
Next time you travel, book your airport transfer at cabmania.com. Our reverse auction system will help you to get the best deal on your airport taxi. Download the free app or go to the website.