We all love to travel in style but who has the money for first class? There are some tricks of the trade to help you get bumped up to first class for free. We’ve done some digging and uncovered 10 things to try on your next trip. Some are a little tongue and cheek!
- Travel at quiet times when business users are less likely to fly. Bank holidays and Friday’s are a good example.
- Join the airline loyalty programme. They always dish out rewards to members first so make sure you are on the list.
- Be early for your flight. Very early if you want to get upgraded to first class. We’re talking 6 hours early. Upgrade spaces are usually scarce. If you’re the first to arrive you might be lucky enough to bag an upgrade!
- Being late can also work well but it’s a big gamble. You might miss your flight for one! Chances are it might be overbooked and they have to seat you in first class.
- Airlines sometimes send emails offering cheap upgrades on the day of departure so keep an eye out!
- Be nice. Being kind can pay off. Smile at the check in attendant and the stewardess. Bat those eyelashes. A lot of people passing them will be stressed from waiting so they’ll be glad of a friendly face.
- Dress to impress. If you look the part they will be more inclined to put you in business class.
- Tell them it’s your anniversary, birthday, engagement other special occasion but DON’T ask for an upgrade. They’ll likely refuse you if you ask outright.
- Be charming – compliment the check-in staff and tell them how fantastic their tan looks.
- If you notice the check-in person or stewardess is from your home country, or a country you know well, converse in that language. This particular one worked for us on a flight going to the US.
Don’t forget to book your airport transfer with cabmania.com – guaranteed the lowest price. Cabbies bid so you get the lowest fare!