Budget airlines all over the country are known to offer fabulous, jaw-droppingly cheap rates to fly around Europe, North Africa and beyond – but those prices can quickly start to rack up when you add a piece of checked baggage. For those that can handle travelling light, flying with only a carry-on bag will save you money and help keep your ticket closer to the affordable advertised fare. Here are some handy tips about carry-on bags when travelling on budget airlines.
1. Maximum dimensions – Each airline has their own maximum dimensions that they permit for bags stored in the plane cabin, with budget airlines such as Viz, Easyjet and Ryanair being the most restrictive. These size rules can change; make sure you check with the airline before packing – here is a brilliant carry on size chart that should make things easier!
2. Personal items – Some budget airlines allow a ‘personal item’ – i.e. a briefcase, handbag or child’s backpack – in addition to your carry-on bag. Make sure you utilise this space and pack it full of toiletries, books and other items that may not fit in your suitcase. (Note – Easyjet no longer allows a personal item, but Ryanair now does!)
3. Shopping bags – Most airlines allow you to bring an additional shopping bag on board so that you can buy duty-free items at the airport. Purchasing a few small candy bars from the newsagents can allow you to schlep some of your clothing along in that shopping bag!
4. Layer it on – You may feel a little hot on the flight, but layering a few outfits on top of each other will really help you to avoid a checked bag. Another top idea is to wear your heaviest, bulkiest shoes on the plane, thus freeing up even more room.
5. Watch out for liquids – As always, when travelling with only carry-on bags, remember that you can only bring along a set amount of containers, each no larger than 100 mL.
Travelling with only a carry-on bag is not just economical when it comes to booking your ticket, but it can also save you money on your taxi to and from the airport – less baggage means that your family may not need a larger people carrier. Book your taxi online in advance to save, and remember – travelling light is fun, cost effective and surprisingly freeing!